I am pleased to finally have time today to finally do my duty and express how glad I was to be nominated by abtwixt for the Versatile Blogger Award Honourable Mention! Her posts are always friendly and thoughtful, and I highly recommend you take a wander over to her blog to enjoy her candid insights!
Now apparently, in addition to thanking the nominator, I’m meant to share 7 things about myself before sharing my own picks for honourable mention, so without further ado…
1. I love Wooly Mammoths. They are my favourite prehistoric animal, and before I settled on history, I had dreams of becoming a palaeontologist.
2. I hold a 1st Dan rank in Kendo, a Japanese sword art.
3. I paint.
4. I’m terrible with dates. It seems like a silly problem for a history student, but for some reason numbers don’t really stick in my head.
5. I secretly wish I was an engineer…. I can’t help it! Every time I watch a science programme on TV about submarines or helicopters or the Large Hadron Collider, I wish I could be building such big things.
6. My current dream vacation would be to Central Asia. This won’t come as a surprise if you’ve read some of my posts, but I’ve been fascinated by the Silk Road cultures and their history and would jump at the chance to visit some of the world’s great sites.
7. My favourite author is Robin Hobb, whose fantasy novels are the best!
And now to my favourite blogs among those I’ve encountered in my first two months at WordPress:
A Date with Delhi whose posts on Delhi’s history and culture are a great way to explore the mediaeval past of India!
Rob Packer’s Blog is a one-stop shop for traveller’s tales, thoughts on literature, and visits to museums’ hidden treasures the world over, whose posts on Central Asia I find especially interesting.
Via Lucis Photography has some absolutely sublime photos of the religious architecture of France, particularly the wonderful Romanesque churches.
Antiquity and Adventures manages to scramble over and photograph such a great number of beautiful vistas and ruins in Wales seemingly without effort, which just goes to show that there’s always another corner of Britain to explore!
THATLou Now I’ve never been to the Louvre, but with THATLou’s posts I feel like I know all the museum’s secrets.
Artsy Forager always posts such insightful and inspiring artwork, all contemporary, which brings some much needed creativity and contemplation into my daily life.
Art Expectations documents one artist’s journey through Charles Dickens’ Great Expectations, and her posts are always so fun and unexpected that I’m always looking forward to the next one, not to mention Pip’s next adventure.
The Cosy Travels of the Viking and his Kitten If you want to hear more about Europe’s off the beaten track destinations, then this blog is for you! Its authors travel all across Europe, documenting the humble and the grand, and always stumbling across the unexpected.